Monday, April 24, 2006

A Little Something to Nosh

This post should be read in your most obnoxiously Yiddish-accented head voice. Come on, just try it.

Now that I am a housewife, I have a need to feed you people. So from time to time, I will throw a nice recipe up on this site. The first is Shiksa Matzo Brie.

If you've never had Matzo Brie, you'll love it. It combines all that's delicious about eggs with potato pancakes, and even mushrooms - although there are no potatoes and mushrooms involved. It's just eggs and those Matzo crackers you see at the market around Passover (they are unleavened-ly delicious).

I have always considered myself an honorary Jew. Growing up, my best friend was Jewish, and her family sort of adopted me and loved me, and they always told me that I was more Jewish than they. I know now that Los Angeles Jews aren't really all that Jewish. Nothing in LA is authentic - cultures are sort of bleached out and tanned just like your skin and hair. So, I'm an honorary California Jew. And that's why my Matzo Brie recipe contains bacon.

Before you freak out, understand that this dish is perfectly delicious without the bacon. It's just that I am a bacon freak and, truly, cannot go without. It's the one meat standing between me and vegetarianism. And it will continue standing there forever. If you can do without, God bless!

Shiksa Matzo Brie
(serves 2 hearty eaters, or 8 mothers-in-law*)
6 eggs
5 sheets of matzo
1 cup onion (1 medium onion), chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons oil
milk
tabasco (optional)
2-3 slices cooked bacon, chopped (optional)

Chop the onion and mince the garlic. Saute both until softened in about three tablespoons of oil (I like safflower/olive oil mix, but vegetable oil is fine) and 1 tablespoon of butter.

Break matzo into little pieces, but not crumbs. The pieces should vary in size - from the size of a quarter to the size of a normal craker. Place pieces in a bowl. And pour boiling water over them until just covered. Let the matzo soak for 2 to 3 minutes (it will soak up the water and expand a bit), then add the mixture into the frying pan with the onions and garlic. Fry for couple of minutes. Add salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, prepare the eggs as you would scrambled eggs (meaning: add a little milk and stir them up). When matzo is ready, pour the eggs over the mixture. Keep stirring and frying, as you would with scrambled eggs, until the eggs are no longer wet.

Chopped prepared bacon into bite sized bits and stir into the mix. If you are a flavor junky, add a dash of hot sauce. Serve with sour cream (or applesauce).

Sit! Eat!


*Explanation for the mother-in-law comment coming soon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought you Heebs didn't do bacon? What up wit dat?

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mel,
how come you never made this for me?

chuck w

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home