Friday, April 29, 2005

The Thinking Gal's "Sin City"

Last weekend, Herr Guitar and I decided to lock up the dog and embark upon an all-day movie fest. We started with a Harold Lloyd double-feature at the Film Forum: "Get Out and Get Under" and "Safety Last." Lloyd is considered one of the three great silent film comedians, next to Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton. I had never seen any of his movies, but knew of the famous hanging-from-the-clock-tower scene from "Safety Last."

"Get Out and Get Under" was the first showing, and it was great. Lloyd did all of his own stunts - in the 20s - which amounted to lots of stepping out of moving cars, then chasing them down and jumping back in the driver's seat. The first time he did this, HG let out a "holy shit," because it was probably the most authentic stunt we modern moviegoers have ever seen. Can you imagine an actor today doing that, without the benefit of Avid editing or CGI?

There was a family sitting nearby and the kids were being pretty vocal from the very beginning of the movie. It was annoying at first, but as the films went on, the entire audience began to participate vocally. Not talking to the screen or anything, but yelping and gasping and really laughing. I think the silent-film aspect allows people to participate more. It was a unique experience.

But it was during "Safety Last" when the experience began to affect us physically. The actual clock tower scene is absolutely grueling to watch, in the most entertaining way imaginable. There were no special effects involved in these movies (other than little camera tricks, like when he combs his hair while looking at his reflection in a coworker's bald head), so he actually climbs this very tall building in Los Angeles, and actually hangs off the clock face (and a flag pole, and a few window sills). With each flight, watching it becomes more and more unbearable, you are totally engrossed but just hoping it will end. HG was sweating, I was cringing in a movie-chair fetal position. Just writing about it is making my heart race and my palms sweat. Since then, I can no longer look up when walking by a tall building without thinking about it, and getting a major case of nausea/vertigo. This may sound strange, but I can't imagine a more entertaining piece of film.

Especially considering that our next stop was seeing "Sin City" at the gynormous megaplex. I coaxed HG into seeing this movie because I was fooled by those wily critics who gushed over what a masterpiece it is. I guess critics are a bunch of horny, sociopathic boys (who am I kidding, I know that's who critics are), because for me this movie lost its charm quickly and, after that, turned extremely dull. And why does no one mention the extreme violence? Maybe I'm "nesting" but I wanted to shield all of my senses from this movie so that my little friend in utero wouldn't have to be exposed to such ugliness. And speaking of ugliness, why is this city populated by the world's foulest looking men and like a bazillion fembots? And why are all the women naked except for Jessica Alba, who is supposed to be an exotic dancer but just stands there in a leather bra and chaps, twirling a lasso? Is this city so perverse that only lassoing holds any sexual novelty? I can't answer these questions, and I don't recommend you try. I thought the acting was pretty good, though. I especially liked Mickey Rourke, who was in the first third of the movie - the most entertaining segment. My review upon walking out was: That movie is very boy. HG concurred that its way boy - like this is all that boys think about all day. Poor creatures.

But when you see a masterpiece like "Safety Last," you realize that "Sin City" is the polar opposite of a masterpiece. It may be great looking and stylish, but all generated through a computer so who really cares? It's all empty calories, and they don't go down too easy. Thinking about it will never make my heart race or palms sweat, in fact I'll probably never think about it again after this (I know, I'm not the right audience - I realize you boys may be all sweaty and tumescent and palmy and thinking about it right now, but I don't want to think about that again after this either). It seems extremely unnecessary.

Anyway, there's still a chance to catch more Harold Lloyd at the Film Forum in New York through May 17. Ignore the goofy pictures and go. I highly recommend it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The building in Safety Last was only 30 feet off the ground. Dangerous still, but still the real height is obscurred by one of those camera tricks.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home